Get ready to enjoy the thrill of online gambling, made safer on some of the world’s best sites!
When Ontario launches its open and regulated internet gaming (igaming) market in the next few months, look for the iGaming Ontario logo to know you’re playing on a legal, authorized and regulated site that offers player protections and meets Ontario’s high standards for game integrity and responsible gambling.
iGaming Ontario. Play with confidence.
iGaming OntarioTM is an agency of the Government of Ontario that conducts and manages internet gaming in the province when provided through private gaming operators.
Established in July 2021 as a subsidiary of the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO), iGaming Ontario brings the world’s best online gambling experiences to the people of Ontario in a safer environment.
Governed by an interim Board of Directors, iGaming Ontario will enter into commercial agreements with operators who meet rigorous standards of game and operator integrity, fairness, player protections and social responsibility, allowing all players to play with confidence.
A share of revenues generated by these commercial relationships will be returned to the Government of Ontario to support provincial priorities.
iGaming Ontario supports the Government of Ontario’s competitive igaming market objectives, which include:
iGaming Ontario’s conduct and management is independent of the AGCO’s regulatory role.
iGaming Ontario also does not conduct or manage online gambling at OLG.ca, which is offered by the Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation (OLG).
iGaming Ontario is working with the Government of Ontario and the AGCO to establish a safe, open and competitive online gaming market that will help protect consumers and provide more choice while ensuring a level playing field for new businesses.
Note: This timeline reflects estimated dates that are subject to change as plans for Ontario’s igaming market continue to progress.
iGaming Ontario and the AGCO's roles in Ontario's igaming market
iGaming Ontario is a subsidiary of AGCO. Here’s a closer look at the roles and responsibilities of each organization.
iGaming Ontario: AboutOntario provincial agency established in July 2021 as a lottery subsidiary corporation of the AGCO. Ontario is responsible for conducting and managing igaming when provided through private operators.
AGCO: AboutOntario provincial regulatory agency established in February 1998. Regulator of Ontario’s regulated igaming market.
iGaming Ontario: Governed byiGaming Ontario Board of Directors, overseen by the AGCO Board of Directors and reporting to the Attorney General of Ontario.
AGCO: Governed byAlcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO) Board of Directors, reporting to the Attorney General of Ontario.
iGaming Ontario: MandateTo conduct and manage igaming in Ontario provided through regulated private igaming operators.
* iGaming Ontario does not conduct or manage online gaming at OLG.ca, which is offered by the Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation (OLG).
AGCO: MandateTo regulate the alcohol, gaming, horse racing and private cannabis retail sectors in accordance with the principles of honesty and integrity, and in the public interest.
iGaming Ontario: Role in Ontario's regulated igaming market
- Conduct and manage internet gaming offerings through private gaming operators in Ontario, in accordance with the Criminal Code (Canada), the GCA, and the Registrar’s Standards for Internet Gaming.
- Develop, execute and oversee commercial agreements with private igaming operators, as well as the required policies, programs and procedures that balance key government objectives such as consumer protection, reduction of red tape and revenue generation.
AGCO: Role in Ontario's regulated igaming market
- Administer the aming Control Act, 1992 (GCA) and Regulation 78/12.
- Establish and uphold standards and requirements (the Registrar’s Standards for Internet Gaming) applicable to OLG with respect to its internet gaming site, to iGaming Ontario with respect to its activities, and to all registered igaming operators and suppliers.
iGaming Ontario: Key activities
- Execute commercial agreements with private igaming operators, once they have been registered by the AGCO, and oversee contract obligations for provision of their services in Ontario’s regulated igaming scheme.
- Implement and oversee reconciliation of igaming revenues on behalf of the province.
- Provide market insights and facilitate operator integration into the regulated market.
- Implement responsible gambling requirements for operators.
- Develop and oversee iGaming Ontario’s anti-money laundering program and policies.
- Establish a dispute resolution process to respond to customer concerns.
AGCO: Key activities
- Develop regulatory standards (Registrar’s Standards for Internet Gaming).
- Determine eligibility and register igaming operators and gaming-related suppliers to ensure the integrity of sector participants.
- Register independent testing labs (ITLs) that test and certify that igaming technology meets the required Registrar’s Standards for Internet Gaming.
- Monitor igaming operators, suppliers and digital game offerings for compliance with regulatory obligations, including the Registrar’s Standards for Internet Gaming.
- Where compliance concerns are identified, bring operators and suppliers back into compliance through the use of progressive sanctions, including warnings, suspensions, monetary penalties, and in the most serious of cases, revocations.
- Work with igaming operators and suppliers to increase their understanding of regulatory obligations and to improve overall compliance.
- Address regulatory complaints and inquiries, including those related to game integrity and fairness, misuse of private information, responsible gambling violations, and money laundering.
iGaming Ontario: Primary focusMarket management and contractual oversight
- Build a leading igaming market in Ontario that is safer, open and competitive to help protect consumers and provide more choice and opportunities while creating a level playing field for new businesses through commercial contracts.
- Ensure that government obligations regarding revenue and financial reporting are met.
- Ensure all igaming sites operating in Ontario’s regulated igaming scheme have strong player protections and responsible gambling requirements.
- Oversee a rigorous anti-money laundering program.
AGCO: Primary focusRegulatory outcomes that protect the public
- Responsible Gambling — Ensuring Responsible Gambling is embedded in Operators' culture and players have the tools and supports to gamble responsibly, including the option for self-exclusion
- Game Integrity — Ensuring games operate as designed and are fair to players
- Preventing infiltration of crime (including money laundering) — Ensuring criminal elements and activities are deterred and detected
- Preventing access to minors — Ensuring underage individuals are restricted from gambling
- Protection and security of personal information — Ensuring personal information is kept private
Sign up for updates
Subscribe to receive news and updates via email
iGaming Ontario is developing resources to support your igaming experience. More information will be added to this website as it becomes available.
Tel.: (416) 326-8283
Toll Free: 1-833-55-iGame / 1-833-554-4263 (In Canada/US only)